UC Merced Library Student Research Competition
The UC Merced Library is awarding two $250 prizes to recognize excellence in research projects that incorporate library resources, demonstrate high-level information literacy skills, and a deep understanding of research strategies and the inquiry process. One graduate and one undergraduate prize will be awarded.
A committee of UC Merced librarians will judge entries based on the following criteria:
- Depth and breadth of library resources used, including but not limited to: print sources, databases, e-books, online articles, websites, images, and videos.
- Evidence of information literacy skills used to locate, select, evaluate and synthesize library resources in the process of generating original research.
- Evidence of a developing understanding of the research and inquiry process.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Entrants must participate in the 2015 UC Merced Research Week Poster Competition. OR
- Entrants must have published, or had an article accepted for publication in an academic journal between March 1, 2014 and March 1, 2015. Undergraduates may publish in UC Merced-sponsored undergraduate journals.
- Entrants must submit a 500-750 word essay describing and reflecting upon the research process and use of resources.
- Students awarded prizes for this competition in previous years are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Use the online application form
- Complete the form (all fields are required)
- Attach your Bibliography/Reference List
- Attach your Reflective Essay
Applications are due by midnight Friday, February 27, 2015.
Questions? Contact Susan Mikkelsen 209.658.1832