UC Merced Library Student Research Competition Awards
As part of UC Merced Research Week 2015, the Library will sponsor a Research Competition for graduate and undergraduate students. Students participating in the Research Poster Competition, or those who have published research papers in academic journals (including undergraduate journals) are invited to apply. The Library awards will recognize excellence in research projects that incorporate library resources, demonstrate high-level information literacy skills, and thoughtfully reflect on strategies utilized in the research process. One graduate and one undergraduate prize will be awarded. The winners will each receive $250.
A committee of UC Merced librarians will judge entries based on the following criteria:
- Depth and breadth of library resources used, including but not limited to: print sources, databases, e-books, online articles, images, and videos.
- Evidence of information literacy skills used to locate, select, evaluate and synthesize library resources in the process of generating original research.
- Evidence of a developing understanding the research and inquiry process.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Entrants must participate in the 2015 UC Merced Research Week Poster Competition. OR
- Entrants must have published, or had an article accepted for publication in an academic journal between March 1, 2014 and March 1, 2015. Undergraduates may publish in UC Merced-sponsored undergraduate journals.
- Entrants must submit a 500-750 word essay describing and reflecting upon the research process and use of resources.
- Students awarded prizes for this competition in previous years are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Use the online application form
- Complete the form (all fields are required)
- Attach your Bibliography/Reference List
- Attach your Reflective Essay
Applications are due by midnight Friday, February 27, 2015.
Questions? Contact Susan Mikkelsen 209.658.1832