UC Merced Library Student Research Competition Awards
The UC Merced Library invites undergraduate and graduate students participating in the 2013 Student Research Poster Competition to apply for an additional research award sponsored by the library. Library awards will recognize excellence in research projects that incorporate library resources, demonstrate high-level information literacy skills, and thoughtfully reflect on strategies utilized in the research process. Two awards will be given; one to a graduate student and one to an undergraduate student. Each award will be in the amount of $100.
A committee of UC Merced librarians will judge entries based on the following criteria:
- Depth and breadth of library resources used, including but not limited to: print sources, databases, e-books, online articles, images, and videos.
- Evidence of information literacy skills used to locate, select, evaluate and synthesize library resources in the process of generating original research.
- Evidence of a developing understanding the research and inquiry process.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Entrants must have faculty sponsors and must display their research posters at the 2013 UC Merced Research Week Poster Competition.
- Entrants must submit their Bibliography/Reference List using the citation style appropriate to the discipline (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Entrants must submit a 500-750 word essay describing and reflecting upon the research process and use of resources.
How to Apply
- Use the online application form
- Complete the form (all fields are required)
- Attach your Bibliography/Reference List
- Attach your Reflective Essay
Applications are due by midnight Thursday February 28, 2013.
Questions? Contact Susan Mikkelsen 209.658.1832