The library can work with faculty and researchers on digitization projects that both promote the academic and research interests of UC Merced, as well as produce digital materials that will allow for greater access to the wider academic and research community. These digitization projects include the scanning of text-based materials, including performing OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on the scanned text, and creating digital files from select analog media formats.
For text-based materials, the library is able to digitize bound book items, and loose-leaf documents, up to A2 size (approximately 16.5” x 23.4”)
For analog-to-digital conversion, the following formats are supported:
- VHS / audiocassette
- LP (vinyl records)
- Flatbed scanning (up to 18” x 24” in size)
We will consider requests provided:
- there are no digital versions currently available (i.e. the item is not available for purchase in any digital format);
- there are no physical protections or limits inhibiting reproduction or reformatting; and
- digitization may be performed in accordance with copyright law or permission to digitize is obtained
- the items being digitized are specifically being used for research and / or instructional purposes
In addition to the above considerations, the library will also make determinations based on the size of a project as it relates to the library's current operational capacity. To submit a digitization project proposal, use this form.
Our Capabilities / Equipment
The library has the following equipment:
Kirtas APT 1200 Book Scanner
High-speed scanning of bound materials.
Atiz BookDrive Pro
Manual scanning of bound materials.
Better Light Scanning Back / 4.5” Cambo Wide DS Camera System
Produces large, high-resolution files. Typically used for oversized items, and other non-flat objects.
Contex HD iFlex Scanner
Large-format flatbed scanning, with a base size of 16” x 23”, and a maximum scan size of 23” x 33”.
High volume automated scanning of loose-leaf documents.
Other equipment includes:
Microboards CD/DVD Duplicator
Automated duplication of CD’s and DVD’s.
Nikon Super Coolscan 5000
Scans film negatives and mounted slides.