Borrow books, articles and more from across UC campuses and around the world. Free for UC Merced students, faculty and staff, obtain electronic and print copies of titles not available at the UC Merced Library.
Submit an ILL Request
There are several ways to request materials from other libraries:
- Search Melvyl, click title and orange Request button to get items from another UC campus.
- Use UC-eLinks in Databases for articles not available online.
- Submit the request form for needed book, chapter, article, etc.
ILL Pick Up/Delivery
- Books and articles usually delivered within five business days.
- You will be notified by email when ILL materials can be accessed electronically or picked up from the library.
Books are available for pick up at the second floor Services Desk. Faculty and graduate students can email email@example.com if they would like ILL materials delivered to their campus mailbox, and may set their profile to reflect this preference.
Electronic articles are accessed through My ILL Requests.
- Log in to My ILL Requests with your UCMNetID and select your Home Campus.
- Enter the ILL number listed in the email notification in the Jump to ILL box.
- The request information will appear; look for the link to the PDF on the last line next to Attached Documents.
NOTE: You must be on campus or logged in with the VPN from off campus in order to access your article.
Viewing ILL Materials in the Library
Some ILL items are deemed Library Use Only due to format type or fragile condition. An ILL notification will be sent to patrons if they request Library Use Only material. Patrons may make an appointment to view these items by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
ILL Due Dates/Renewals
- Due dates are determined by the lending library.
- Due dates are on the blue ILL strap on borrowed materials, or check your due dates by logging in to My ILL Requests.
- ILL items will appear in your UC Merced Library account, but renewals can only be made through My ILL Requests.
- Renewal requests should be made two weeks before the due date.
ILL materials do not belong to the UC Merced Library. A lending library may recall their material at any time for the use of their patrons' research or for their library reserves.
If your ILL book is recalled, please return it to the second floor Services Desk as soon as possible. Failure to return recalled items in a timely manner jeopardizes UC Merced Library's working relationship with other lending libraries.
Returning ILL Materials
Return ILL materials to the return box near the second floor Services Desk or the outside book slot near the College Bookstore entrance.
Faculty and staff who work at Promenade, Mondo, Castle, etc. can return ILL materials through campus mail services.
- It is not our policy to borrow textbooks or other required reading material.
- Our textbook policy is designed to protect you and your academic success.
- Our textbook policy supports the campus value that students are responsible for purchasing their textbooks and required texts.
- Contact the Campus Bookstore to purchase your textbooks.
Faculty Research & Grant Support
For Interlibrary Loan to better to assist you with your research projects, please email the following information to email@example.com.
- What is your research topic?
- Do you anticipate special resources such as newspapers, microfilm or media?
- The names of collaborators or assistants that will be submitting requests.
- Any pertinent deadlines.
Please let us know if your project takes a new direction so we can cancel requests before materials are shipped.
Digitation requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Requests to digitize ILL materials can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit FAQs, call 209-756-7423, or email email@example.com