Connecting Off Campus (VPN)
The VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows users to connect to library resources from home or other off- campus networks.
Without the VPN, you will be locked out of eBooks, journal articles and databases.
The VPN is:
- Available for UC Merced students, faculty and staff.
- A one-time download and setup.
- A secure connection to the UC Merced campus network.
- Administered by UC Merced Office of Information Technology.
The VPN is beneficial because:
- You can connect to an outside internet connection (home, Starbucks, airports, etc.) on any internet browser like Firefox, Safari or Chrome.
- You can browse library resources and have full access to electronic library content remotely, simply by logging into the VPN.
- You are using a secure connection by logging in with your UCMNetID and password with DUO authentication (this is the same login you use for campus email.)
Installing the VPN:
Visit the Office of Information Technology Service Hub for installation instructions based on specific devices, troubleshooting connection issues, and to chat live with a member of OIT for support.
Discover why the Virtual Private Network (VPN) is important for your library research and where you can locate VPN download information. (2:01)
Installing the UC Merced VPN (Mac)
Installing the UC Merced VPN (Windows)
Installing the UC Merced VPN (Linux)
Installing the UC Merced VPN (iPhone)
Installing the UC Merced VPN (Android)