Borrow books, articles, and more from across UC campuses and around the world. This free service helps UC Merced faculty, students, and staff obtain material not available at the UC Merced Library.
Note: We are currently transitioning our Interlibrary Loan service to work with the new UC Library Search system. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
User Alert: We are aware of a network error that converts some print resource requests to digital or part of book requests. We are working with the vendor to repair this issue. In the meantime, we ask that patrons request all print resources directly from print or physical catalog records, rather than e-resource records. For more information, please email Demitra Borrero at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Visit My Library Account or My ILL Requests to track, cancel and renew your Interlibrary Loan requests. Interlibrary loan requests from before August 2021 will continue to be tracked thrrough My ILL Requests, as will some future requests fulfilled from outside of the UC system.
Placing an ILL Request
- ILL requests can be made through UC Library Search using the Interlibrary loan link found directly in the item record or the ILL Request form found in the top navigation menu. You must log into UC Library Search with your UCMnetID to place requests.
- When browsing databases or Google Scholar, click the button to view the item record in UC Library Search. You will be offered View Online options or an Interlibrary Loan link to initiate a request.
ILL Pick Up and Access
- Books and articles from other UC campuses are usually delivered within five business days.
- You will be notified by email when ILL materials can be accessed electronically or picked up from the library.
- Print materials will be available for pickup for 14 days after they arrive on campus. After two weeks the materials will be returned.
Electronic articles delievered from other UCs may be e-mailed directly to you from the lending library. All other electronic items will be accessed through My ILL Requests.
- Log in to My ILL Requests with your UCMNetID and select your Home Campus.
- Enter the ILL number listed in the email notification in the Jump to ILL box.
- The request information will appear; look for the link to the PDF on the last line next to Attached Documents.
NOTE: You must be on campus or logged in with the VPN from off campus in order to access your article.
ILL Renewals and Returns
Most items from other UCs will have a borrowing period of 90 days.
- Due dates are determined by the lending library and vary in length. Original due dates can be found in your Library Account, on your Resource Request slip, or on the bookband attached to the item.
- Renewal requests are available on most ILL items (unless a ‘Non-Renewable’ stamp is on the item). Renewals must be made two-weeks prior to the due date in your Library Account or in-person at the 2nd Floor Library Services Desk.
- Return physical ILL items at the 2nd floor Library Services Desk, in the book drop next to the 2nd floor Library Services Desk, or in the book drop located outside the Lantern.
- Faculty and staff working at off-site campus locations can use the campus mail system to return ILL items.
- Electronic materials are available perpetually, with no return or expiration date.
- ILL materials do not belong to the UC Merced Library. Occasionally, a lending library may recall their materials at any time for use by their own patrons or for their own circulation purposes.
- If your ILL book is recalled, please bring the item to the 2nd floor Library Services Desk as soon as possible. Failure to return a recalled item has resulted in the suspension of our borrowing privileges from other lending libraries.
Viewing 'Library Use Only' items
Some ILL items are deemed Library Use Only due to format type or fragile condition. An ILL notification will be sent to patrons if they request Library Use Only material. Patrons may view these items by scheduling an appointment with InterLibrary Loan staff here.
Paying for UC Library Search Consortia (Non-Merced) Fines
Fines associated with UC Library Search Consortia materials are assessed by the owning campus of the item. UC Merced Faculty, Staff, and Students (UC Network Users) should contact the owning campus of the billed item for payment instructions. Item fees from other UC campuses may result in blocks to borrowing privileges until resolved.
- The UC Merced Library does not borrow or provide textbooks or other required course readings. If a textbook is requested through ILL, your request will be cancelled.
- Our textbook policy protects students’ academic success and adheres to the campus value that students are responsible for acquiring their own textbooks. Please contact the University Store for assistance with purchasing textbooks and other required course readings.
Specialized ILL Support
Library Use Items
- Some ILL items may be categorized as ‘Library Use Only’ because of the format type or fragile condition.
- Library Use items can be viewed in the library only by scheduling an appointment.
Faculty Research & Grant Support
- Interlibrary Loan supports faculty research projects by making every effort to obtain needed materials. Please email the Interlibrary Loan department with special requests, including important deadlines and the scope of your research project.
- Digitization requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are not always possible depending on the publisher. Requests to digitize ILL materials should be forwarded to the Interlibrary Loan department.
If you need more information than that outlined above, please to reach out to our Interlibrary Loan staff.
Visit FAQs, call 209-228-4683, or email firstname.lastname@example.org