Connecting Off Campus (VPN)
VPN allows faculty, students and staff to connect to library resources from home or other off campus networks.
- Available for UC Merced students, faculty and staff.
- One time download and setup.
- Provides a secure connection to the UC Merced campus network.
- Administered by UC Merced campus IT Department.
- Without the VPN, you will be locked out of eBooks, journal articles and databases.
How to set up a virtual private network (VPN).
- Download the VPN client. Instructions vary depending on your operating system, follow the step-by-step instructions carefully.
- Connect to an outside Internet connection (home, Starbucks, airport, etc).
- Connect to the VPN each time you need to access library resources remotely.
- Log into the VPN using your UCMNetID and password—the same login you use for campus email.
- Open a browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc).
- You will be virtually on the campus network, having full access to electronic library resources.
Watch and learn why VPN is important.
Need help? Stop by IT Express, on the library's second floor near the Service Desk, or contact the IT Help Desk.