Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan Quick Facts
- ILL is a free service for UC Merced students, faculty and staff.
- Books and articles are usually delivered within 5 business days.
- ILL requests can be made online.
- We borrow from other UC campuses and libraries outside our system.
- ILL should not be used for textbooks or required reading materials.
Submitting an ILL RequestThere are several ways to request books from other libraries
- Search Melvyl for the book you want. Click on the title, then use the orange Request button to get the book from another UC campus.
- Use UC-eLinks in Article Databases for articles not available online.
- Fill out an online request form if you have the citation for the book, chapter, article, etc. that you need.
- Article Request
- Book Request
- Book Chapter Request
- Dissertation Request
- Government Document Request
- Journal Issue Request
- Video Request
Interlibrary loan is available to UC faculty, graduate, undergraduates and staff. There are significant costs associated with an interlibrary loan request. The ILL service supports university research, instruction and coursework. Requests for recreational materials should be placed through your public library.
ILL Pick Up/Delivery
- Books are available for pick up at the Services Desk on the second floor of the library.
- Electronic articles are accessed through My ILL Requests after receiving email notification that the article is available.
- Log in to My ILL Requests with your UCM Net ID (e.g. jsmith), Password and Home Campus.
- Enter the ILL number listed in the email notification in the Jump to ILL box.
- The request information will appear; look for the link to the pdf on the last line next to Attached Documents.
- You must be on campus or logged in with the VPN from off campus in order to access your article.
Returning ILL Materials
- Use the book drop near the second floor services desk OR the bookdrop outside the library between the bookstore and the main entrance to the Lantern.
- Faculty and staff who do not work on campus (Promenade, Mondo, Castle, etc.) can return ILL materials through campus mail services.
ILL Due Dates/Renewals
- Due dates vary and are determined by the lending library.
- Check due dates by logging in to My ILL Request. Log in with your UCM Net ID.
- ILL items will appear in your UC Merced Library account, but renewals can only be made through My ILL Request.
- Renewal requests should be made 2 weeks before the due date.
- Lending libraries can ask for their books back if someone from their campus requests the title.
- If your ILL book is recalled you must return it immediately.
- Failure to return recalled books causes big problems for our library.
- Libraries that don't get their books back when they recall them may decide to stop lending to us in the future.
- It is not our policy to borrow textbooks or other required reading materials available for purchase in the bookstore from other campuses through Interlibrary Loan.
- Our textbook policy is designed to protect you and your academic success.
- Our textbook policy supports the campus value that students are responsible for purchasing their textbooks and other required texts.
- Contact the Bobcat Bookstore to purchase your textbooks.
Viewing ILL Materials in the Library
- Some materials (like microfilm and old, fragile books) may only be viewed in the library office suite.
- To make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
For more information about ILL, please visit our FAQs.
If you have questions, please call 209-228-2963 or email firstname.lastname@example.org