Carter Joseph Abrescy and Larry Kranich Library Award for Student Research Excellence
The Carter Joseph Abrescy and Larry Kranich Library Award for Student Research Excellence was established in 2017 to recognize outstanding undergraduate research at UC Merced. The award recognizes students who demonstrate effective use of library and information resources, as well as an understanding of the research process and growth in research practices. A committee of faculty and librarians will review applications and select awardees. A total of $1,000 will be awarded each year; no more than two awards of $500 each will be awarded in a given year.
- Students must be currently enrolled undergraduates in good standing (minimum 2.0 GPA) at UC Merced
- Research paper or project submitted must have been produced for a credit-bearing course within the last 12 months (January-December) by an individual or team
- Students applying for the award must contact the course instructor about having submitted a course paper or project; the selection committee may contact the course instructor
- Research paper or project may be in another language, but all accompanying materials, including the reflective essay, must be in English
- Work demonstrates effective use of library resources and understanding of the research process
Key Dates for the 2021-2022 Award Cycle
- Applications will open on Wednesday, December 1, 2021
- Applications must be submitted by Monday, January 31, 2022
- Awardee(s) announcement: Late February 2021 (specific date TBD)
- Award Reception: tentatively scheduled for Friday, March 11th
- Allow deposit of work in the institutional repository, eScholarship
- Supply a photo to be featured on the Library News, Library social media channels and campus news outlets.
- Work with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to receive the award
Submit the following application requirements online through UC Merced Undergraduate Scholarships. The online application contains more details.
Contact Outreach & Instruction Librarian Olivia Olivares at firstname.lastname@example.org.